SEARCH

on peace makers in a noisy room

Thursday, March 13, 2014

photo by Daniel Tellman - Creative Commons
In my life, peace began with a dream - a literal dream about kissing strangers, passing the peace of Christ to rude men.  You can read the story here.

As I have put my experience of making peace into words, I had a decision to make.
  
Our modern spiritual climate is marked by disunity.  Elizabeth Esther said it best: our Protestant heritage is to protest - to question, to argue, to debate.  You don't need examples of what I mean; I am sure they are as prevalent on your computer screen as they are on mine.  

As I have shared more details about leaving a destructive theology, and finding peace in the liturgy, I had to make a decision:  Would I join the protest?  Would I be another loud voice in an already noisy room, using  my experience to highlight faults and encourage anger and disappointment with church?  Or would I use my experience to build bridges, and make peace instead?


I choose peace.

But in the modern church, what does peace look like?  Does peace equate to silence, or is it something more vocal, more active, more intentional?  Everyone has a bad church story.  We can retrace the webs of destruction, or we can use our experience to draw out hope, comfort, and love in others.  

I want to use my story for good.  I don't want to yell at those who disagree with me - even when their words have harmed me in the past.  I want to be a part of what is good in the modern church instead

But how?

That's the question we'll be asking here at A Wide Mercy for the next several weeks in a series called Give Peace a ChanceI've asked several friends to contribute their ideas, including an Anglican priest, a recovering alcoholic, a southern Evangelical pastor's wife, a former fundamentalist, and a Methodist social justice missionary.   We'll be asking how, in our current religious climate, we can be peace makers.  I can't wait to hear their thoughts, and yours.

For now, head over to Converge to read how I made peace with destructive theology.  And why in the world I would kiss those rude strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger