SEARCH

the poem that gets me every single time

Monday, September 30, 2013

Meet Heather.  Heather is my real life friend who introduced me to the world of blogging a decade ago.  One of her sons has Asperger's Syndrome, and for a while he was obsessed with tornadoes.  He asked her to write about them.


Before the Storm by premasagar
Before the storm, a photo by premasagar on Flickr
The Thing About Tornadoes

The thing about tornadoes is
They were not meant to be kept
As pets.
There is no jar or bowl or box or pen
That can hold one.
I cannot attach mine
To a leash and lead him
Around.


Instead he blows up wild
And lashes out violent
And no matter how I try
To curb his wind,
He continues to spin.
His gray fury astounds me,
After the relative peace
of a stormless day.
Dust in my eyes
And debris flying by,
And something tells me this ride
Will not end in Oz,
With a yellow brick road
And a good witch in a bubble
Floating down.
Round and round and round he goes
And where he will stop
God only knows,
But somehow I have to tame him.
Somehow I have to harness
The wild wind and the flying house
That threatens to blow us away.

  

"The Thing about Tornadoes" was originally published at Middle Places.  If her poem gets you, too, you can follow Heather at Middle Places or at Madame Rubies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger